Sunday, March 30, 2014

Educational Philosophy


As I started reading and doing the work for this module, I realized that there are so many philosophies of teaching that people go by. I took the self assessment test on my educational philosophy, and my scores ranged from 11 to 24. It turned out that my educational philosophy and the way I view the world is through Humanism. 


Humanism
 Where educators consider learning from the perspective of the human potential for growth, becoming the best one can be. The shift is to the study of effective as well as cognitive dimensions of learning. Beliefs include: human beings can control their own destiny; people are inherently good and will strive for a better world; people are free to act but must be responsible; behavior is the consequence of human choice; and people possess unlimited potential for growth and development. There is a natural tendency for people to learn, which will flourish if nourishing, encouraging environments are provided.

I was actually really happy that I scored this in Humanism because after doing some research, I really do view the world and education through this philosophy. I believe in the multiple intelligence's and how every person learns in their own way. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and EVERYONE has the potential to grow and become the best they can be. I am not religious, and I do believe that everyone controls their own destiny, and you are responsible for your own actions. I also believe that people have an unlimited amount of potential and that everyone can strive to become better. As a teacher, it is my job to nourish and encourage the student to want to learn. You can only teach a student so much if they do not want to learn. So by creating lessons that students can relate to and are interested in, I will be encouraging them to want to learn. My environment will be a safety net for them, and I want them to feel as comfortable as possible so they are able to grow and develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment